Stress is universal, that is a given, it is how we deal with it that makes the difference. Assignments, exams, and social situations don't have to be overwhelming, here a few simple tips to help you overcome stress.
- Take time for self-care. This means getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods, and finding time for moderate exercise. All of these things are important factors in remaining healthy and happy.
- Change your thinking. Combat negative thinking by coming up with strategies to get work done and focus positively on what you have already achieved.
- Take assignments one step at a time. Don't try to tackle everything at once. If you have an essay to write, break it down into manageable pieces. Find your sources first, create an outline, write an introduction, and so on, just make sure you don't procrastinate. Begin the process as soon as the assignment is received.
- Lower your goals. No, this doesn't mean you should start slacking. It means you should focus on being satisfied with your performance and your achievements and not strive for perfection all the time. Being happy with yourself and what you have done is important in beating stress.
- Stay balanced during midterms and finals. Yes, studying is important, but so is talking to friends and spending some time with your family. So if you feel yourself starting to freak out during a study session, take 15 minutes to do something else and give yourself some time to do what makes you happy and calm.