November is Aviation History Month, and this month accomplishments and milestones by men and women aviators are recognized.
Chronicled are some of the most memorable moments in Aviation History.
First Hot Air Balloon Flight - 1783
- By a paper bag rising on the floor of heated air.
- Carried out by French brothers Joseph-Michel and Jacques Etienne Montgolfier.
- On the flight were a sheep, duck, and a rooster.
First Powered Flight - 1852
- French Engineer and Inventor Jules Henri Giffard
- Steam Powerd Air Ship
- Giffard launched this flight fifty-one years before the Wright Brothers.
First Roundtrip Flight - 1884
- French Army Corps of Engineers Charles Renard and Arthur C. Krebs.
- Inventors and Military Officers were credited for building an elongated balloon.
- Elongated Balloon flew five miles and landed at the same location.
Wright Brothers and the First Flight - 1903
- Orville and Wilbur Wright
- Pioneered the principles for the first powered airplane.
- Flew their Wright Flyer on a 12-second test flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
The First United States Female Pilot- 1911
- Harriet Quimby
- Aviator and Movie Screen Writer
- Awarded a US pilot’s certificate in the United States.
- The first woman to fly across the English Channel