General | Demographics | Crime | Education| Taxes | Travel |
Federal Data Sources
Raw data and tools for accessing federal data are available at Data.gov, opens a new window. Find datasets by topic and by agency. Use USA.gov's data portal, opens a new window if you don't know which federal agency collects them.
STAT-USA, with its store of economic and financial data, ceased operation on September 30, 2010 after 25 years of operation. The data is still available on the internet, but it can be difficult to find. The U.S. Government Depository at Iowa State University, opens a new window provides access to the data and reports available in STAT-USA with direct links to the original sources.
Demographics and Census products
Explore Census Data, opens a new window (formerly American FactFinder). Great place to begin.
BEARFACTS, opens a new window provides a snapshot of personal income and GDP data by state, county, or MSA. Link from here to more detailed information by general industry categories and locality.
Find retail trade statistics, including e-commerce, in the Monthly Trade Report, opens a new window, a Census product.
Immigration statistics, opens a new window are available from the Dept. of Homeland Security.
Circular area profiles, opens a new window from the Missouri Census Data Center.
Older Census: The National Historical Geographic Information System (NHGIS), opens a new window, supported by the University of Minnesota, provides population, housing, agricultural, and economic data, along with GIS-compatible boundary files, for geographic units in the United States from 1790 to the present. Social Explorer, opens a new window is a commercial product that allows interactive research and mapping of Census data back to 1790. Use US Dept. of Agriculture, opens a new window for older Census of Agriculture and reports deriving from them, back to the first one conducted in 1840.
The Statistical Abstract, a quality source of government-collected data since 1879, is now privately published. See the government-published digitizations online on the Census page, opens a new window. Search Fulton County Library's catalog, opens a new window to find library branches that own the recent commercially-published versions.
Find out more about public-access Census microdata, opens a new window.
Local data State of Georgia voter registration statistics, opens a new window and State of Georgia turnout by demographics, opens a new window. Fulton County Open Data, opens a new window and GIS, opens a new window dataset portals.
The Georgia Governor's Office of Planning and Budget, opens a new window formats some of the Census data to focus on Georgia at the county level. There is also a contact person for more specific assistance.
Check County Business Patterns, opens a new window for economic data specific to Fulton County or the Atlanta metro area.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics, opens a new window. Current and archived.
- Uniform Crime Reports, opens a new window. This site links to annual statistical publications derived from the Uniform Crime national reporting system, which is information on crime gathered from law enforcement. Key reports are "Crime in the United States" (1995-), "Hate Crime Statistics" (1995-), and "Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted" (1996-).
- US Centers for Disease Control Injury Center WISQARS, opens a new window. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System is an interactive, online database that provides fatal and nonfatal injury, violent death, and cost of injury data.
- US Centers for Disease Control National Violent Crime Death reporting system, opens a new window (NVDRS).
- The National Crime Victimization Survey, opens a new window tells how many rapes, sexual assaults, robberies, assaults, thefts, household burglaries, and motor vehicle thefts U.S. residents age 12 or older and their households experience each year, whether reported or not.
- Child welfare and child abuse data, opens a new window : types of maltreatment of children and recurrence of maltreatment plus data on children in foster care and children awaiting adoption. This data, collected by states as required by Federal law, is gathered by age, race and sex.
- Gun Violence Archive, opens a new window. GVA queries 1,500 media sources, aggregates, police blotters, police media outlets and other sources daily, verifies the incidents, and creates ways for the public to see the full range of injuries and deaths by shooting.
- Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics, opens a new window, long a federally-supported project, is a useful archive of reliable crime data.
- Georgia Offender search, opens a new window, active and inactive. Georgia Sex Offender, opens a new window registry.
Local crime data
- Uniform Crime Statistics from the Atlanta Police Department, opens a new window, citywide or by zone.
- GBI Crime Statistics Database, opens a new window includes Uniform Crime Statistics plus additional information gathered in Georgia about family violence incidents.
- A visualization of crime trends is provided by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Crime Data Explorer, opens a new window.
The Condition of Education, opens a new window with data on public and private school enrollment, attainment, and finance.
The ERIC, opens a new window database for published policy and data, much of which is fulltext.
Children's Bureau page on statistics and research, opens a new window for data on children's education and wellbeing.
Data from Form 1040 for Individuals, opens a new window from Statistics of Income publications. Also see business statistics, opens a new window compilations.
See tax analysis reports, opens a new window from the U.S. Congressional Budget Office.
See reports on the statutory tax rate structure, opens a new window from the U.S. Congressional Budget Office.
Travel, Weather, Maps
Realtime road closings, road conditions, highway camera views statewide from Georgia Navigator, opens a new window. Consult the Atlanta Police Department City Calendar, opens a new window for road closures in the city.
Stay on top of fire incidents nationwide, opens a new window. Data on indoor and outdoor fires, opens a new window and injuries from the U.S. Fire Administration.
Check airline statistics, opens a new window. Check the Aviation Consumer Protection Division, opens a new window website for consumer-related air travel information.
Data about commercial cargo, opens a new window from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (in print this was called Waterborne Commerce of the United States).
Boating safety statistical data, opens a new window from the U.S. Coast Guard.
Cruise ship safety and incident reports, opens a new window from the U.S. Dept. of Transportation.
View topographic maps from the U.S. Geological Survey at National Map, opens a new window. Additional local maps may be obtained from the National Geologic Map Database, opens a new window. Tools and interactives from NOAA's Climate.gov, opens a new window page, including state-level drought impacts from Drought.gov, and the Climate Data Mapper. Find Local Climatological Data, opens a new window; data in this dataset for Atlanta's Hartsfield Jackson International Airport is available starting in 1946.